[ox] Re: Contribute something - expect what?

Hi Graham!

Last week (8 days ago) graham wrote:
6 days ago Annette Schlemm wrote:
Dieses "contribute nothing - expect everything" und das auch noch ohne
moralische Bedenken: Das ist einer der entscheidend neuen Aspekte an
der Freien Software.

und der Vollständigkeit halber auch

contribute something - expect something

Both seem like you are skirting round 'from each according to his
abilities; to each, according to his needs' - not such an 'entscheidend
neue Aspekte' (at least in ideas, if not in reality). In that spirit,
how about:

'Contribute what you can; take what you need'

with no moralising about those who cannot contribute, and no
apparent command to 'contribute nothing'.

Well I thought about that somewhere back in my mind already. But - at
least at the moment - I think the point is the "can". It's more a
"contribute what you want" than "contribute what you can".

I for instance could contribute some pieces to the Free Software pool,
but at the moment I don't want to (well, really I don't have time to
wrap some pieces up nicely :-( ..., but there have been situations
when I did not want to Free my software although there was no chance
to sell it).

So it comes to

	Contribute what you want, take what you want

which I like most among all the sentences found so far.

My point is, that this in fact constitutes _no_ relation between
contributing and taking. At least no more relation than "Wipe your
nose as often as you want, take what you want". And this seems to mark
something new in history.

PS sorry about the english; my german is improving slowly, but it will
take a long time before I can confidently use words like
'Selbstentfaltungsaspekt' ;-)

You know we Germans are really manic about glueing as many letters
together as possible with no space in between ;-) .

						Mit Freien Grüßen

						Stefan

PS: When the GPL-society finally has arrived, I'd really like to learn
something about the way language is shaping thinking. Sigh ... there
are so many interesting things in this world and so little time :-( ...