[ox] Carl Ransom Rogers (1902-1987)

Ja, ich weiss, dies hier ist nicht die ox-en. Dennoch diese Mail aus
aktuellem Anlass...

------- Weitergeleitete Nachricht / Forwarded message -------
Von:            	"Karl Dietz" <karl.dietz gmx.de>
Datum:   	Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:47:39 [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]
Betreff:        	[W2] Carl Ransom Rogers (1902-1987)

Carl Ransom Rogers (1902-1987)

Professor für Psychologie, Lehrtätigkeit an der Universität Chicago
und Forschung am Center for Studies of the Person in La Jolla,
Kalifornien.

*   Nondirective," "client-centered," and "person-centered." are the
terms
   Rogers used successively, at different points in his career, for his
   method. This method involves removing obstacles so the client
can move
   forward, freeing him or her for normal growth and development. It
   emphasizes being fully present with the client and helping the
latter
   truly feel his or her own feelings, desires, etc.. Being
   "nondirective" lets the client deal with what he or she considers
   important, at his or her own pace.

* Avoidance of Argument. Rogers was willing state his own position
   clearly, and hear you out and listen to your position carefully. He
   asked, "Can we learn from each other?" He was not interested in
   winning arguments.

*  Case histories. Rogers was the first person to record and publish
   complete cases of psychotherapy.

*  Congruence. Open, authentic, communication in which the way I
present
   myself to the world matches what I think and feel at a deeper
level.
   (Incongruence is similar to Jung's persona, or wearing a mask." It
may
   be conscious deception or unconscious self-deception.) Rogers
writes,
   "I have found, in my relations with persons, that in the long run it
   does not help to pretend to be something I am not."

*  Avoidance of Control; Responsibility for self. The person-centered
   therapist consciously avoids control over, or decision-making, for
the
   client, so that the client becomes responsible for himself or
herself.
   This changes the power relationship between therapist and client
by
   putting the control over decision-making, as well as the
   responsibility for decisions, in the hands of the client.

*  Curiosity. Rogers was deeply curious. He wanted to really
sense, hear,
   feel what life was like for the other person. He had a
   phenomenological attitude.

*  Education. Rogers views our schools as generally rigid,
bureaucratic
   institutions which are resistant to change. Applied to education,
his
   approach becomes "student-centered learning" in which the
students are
   trusted to participate in developing and to take charge of their own
   learning agendas. The most difficult thing in teaching is to let
   learn.

*  Empathic understanding: to try to take in and accept a client's
   perceptions and feelings as if they were your own, but without
losing
   your boundary/sense of selve.

*  The facts are always friendly. If new evidence shows that our
   opinions, views, and hypotheses are mistaken, it leads us closer
   what is true. This is learning, and though sometimes painful, it
leads
   to a jore accurate way of seeing life.

*  Feelings. "A vitally important part of therapy is for the person to
   learn to recognize and express his feelings as his own feelings,
not
   as a fact about another person." For example, "I feel annoyed by
what
   you are doing," rather than, "What you are doing is all wrong."

*  The Fully-Functioning Person. Rogers' term for an "ideal
personality."
   A person who is open to her own experience, lives in the moment
in an
   existential fashion, and is fully connected to her own stream of
   consciousness, which is constantly changing. She trusts her
organism
   and does what "feels right" in a situation. To be "fully functioning"
   is not a finished state, but a direction we can be moving in.

*  Human nature. Rogers believed that at a basic level, human
beings are
   good and trustworthy. The more fully-functioning a person is, the
more
   that basic nature will be evidence.

*  Inner Freedom. This involves freedom from such things as threat,
and
   freedom to choose and be.

*  Judgment, evaluation, approval or disapproval of another person.
"This
   tendency to react to any emotionally meaningful statement by
forming
   an evaluation of it from our own point of view is the major barrier to
   interpersonal communication."

*  Learning. Significant learning is self-initiated, it has a quality of
   personal involvement, and it is evaluated by the learner.
   Meaningful learning is self-directed, experiential, and uses both
   intellectual and intuitive processes.

*  Listening. As a person learns to listen to himself he becomes
more
   accepting of himself.

*  Living in the moment. If I say, "I am this," or "I am that," it is
   already past. For example, as soon as I can say, "I'm being
   defensive," that itself changes things.

*  Organismic values. Basic positive human and social values that
appear
   to be common to all people at a deep level. These tend to
emerge as a
   person becomes more open to his or her deep experience.

*  Personal growth. Rogers' clients tend to move away from
facades, away
   from "oughts," and away from pleasing others as a goal in itself.
Then
   tend to move toward being real, toward self-direction, and toward
   positively valuing oneself and one's own feelings. Then learn to
   prefer the excitement of being a process to being something fixed and
   static. They come to value an openness to inner and outer
   experiences, sensitivity-to and acceptance-of others as they are, and
   develop greater abilityachieve close relationships.

*  Politics of relationships and therapy. How persons maneuver or
   position themselves for power and control within relationships, both
   personal and therapeutic.

*  Politics in a broader sense. Applying Rogers' perspective, Assemblyman
   John Vasconcellos says, "The basic struggle in politics is between
   those who think people should be free to control their own destiny,
   and those who think everyone should be controlled."

*  Reflection, reflective listening, "active listening." A therapeutic
   technique in which the therapist mirrors or repeats, in his or her own
   words, what the client has just said.

*  Research. Rogers was an early advocate for research on the
   effectiveness of therapeutic approaches.

*  Transparency involves expressing my deep feelings, as my feelings
   rather than as facts about another, revealing myself as a person, real
   and imperfect as I am, in my relationship with another.

*  Unconditional positive regard. To give a client or person my full,
   caring attention without judging or evaluating them. "It is a kind of
   liking which has strength, and which is not demanding."
   What is most personal is most general. The most private,
personal
   feelings are often those which, if shared, would speak to others
most
   directly.

*  Willingness for another to be separate: Allowing others to have
   different believs, feelings, values, and goals than you do.

------- Ende der weitergeleiteten Nachricht / End of forwarded message -------

...lest die letzten mails in pox, dann wird der kontext klarer. wobei
die obigen dinge auch unabhängig davon mailenswert sind. imho. k.

Kontakt: projekt oekonux.de