[ox] another journalistic work to be supported!

Hi, anyone going to asist Azeem the way we did it for Frankfurter
Rundschau?
Hi Azeem, look at our website www.oekonux.org!
Franz

"azeem azhar, 20six" <azeem.azhar 20six.net> wrote in minciu sodas:

"I am writing an essay for the British cultural and economic review
Prospect (www.prospect-magazine.co.uk) on the future of the open source
movement.

The piece reviews the following areas:

	1. There is growing momentum in the software domain to use open source
technologies.
	2. Open source thinking is spreading into other areas, such as design
and education
	3. The benefits we can accrue may be signficant (ask the Brazilian
government); and we have had previous episodes of "collective
invention" when research and development has been shared amongst
competitors to the benefit of all
	4. The macro implications are significant but the debate and
discussion had been inadequate. One the one side you have academics and
polemicists and on the other you have rent-seeking corporations. We
can't be clear of where benefits will accrue and where they won't until
we have a clear understanding. The danger is that policy-making may
happen too quickly (viz the DMCA) and thus the law will prefer certain
modes of production (the proprietary one).

I am looking for critiques of this thesis, but also good examples
outside of the software domain of where, what Benkler calls,
commons-based peer-production has been successful (and perhaps mostly
where it hasn't been successful). These examples can come from the
present or from history.
Also I contend that the intellectual property regimes we live with
today are comparatively recent phenomenon and supported emerging
business models of the 17th and 18th centuries (in Western Europe, at
least) and so are not grounded in any form of inalienable right.

Thoughts, comments appreciated.
best
azeem"

Each letter sent to minciu_sodas_en yahoogroups.com
enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN whenever it does not state otherwise.
http://www.primarilypublicdomain.org/letter/
Please credit our authors!