[ox] krisen text

Sehr geehrte Oekonuxers,

ich hätte eine Frage oder eine Bitte. Gibt es ein Text von Robert Kurz (oder
jemand anderes), der sich explizit mit dem Krisenbegriff auseinandersetzt?
Am liebsten auf Englisch, aber wenn es keine übersetzung gibt, dann müssten
wir eben rumschauen ob jemanden bereit wäre eins zu machen. Es kann eben
auch ein Interviewfragment sein, oder eine Buchbesprechung, wie auch immer.

Es geht also um crisis/Krise. Da die Gruppe um Kurz diesen Namen trägt
dachte ich direkt an denen. Problem ist halt die Sprache...

Alles gute,

Geert

---

Call for Contributions to Sarai Reader 04 :  Crisis/Media

I. Introducing the Sarai Reader

Sarai, (www.sarai.net) an interdisciplinary research and practice
programme on the city and the media, at the Centre for the Study of
Developing Societies invites contributions (texts and images) to
Sarai Reader 04: Crisis/Media

We also invite proposals to initiate and moderate discussions on the
themes of the Sarai Reader 04 on the Reader List
(http://mail.sarai.net/mailman/listinfo/reader-list) with a view to
the moderator(s) editing the transcripts of these discussions for
publication in the Sarai Reader 04.

For an outline of the themes and concerns of Sarai Reader 04, see
concept outline below. To know about the format of the articles that
we invite, see 'Guidelines for Submissions' below.

The Sarai Reader is an annual publication produced by
Sarai/CSDS(Delhi). The contents of the Sarai Readers are available
for free download from the Sarai website (see urls below)

   Previous Readers have included:

'The Public Domain': Sarai Reader 01, 2001
(http://www.sarai.net/journal/reader1.html)

'The Cities of Everyday Life':  Sarai Reader 02, 2002,
(http://www.sarai.net/journal/reader2.html).

And 'Shaping Technologies': Sarai Reader 03, 2003
(http://www.sarai.net/journal/reader3.html)

The Sarai Reader series aims at bringing together original,
thoughtful, critical, reflective, well-researched and provocative
texts and essays by theorists, practitioners and activists, grouped
under a core theme that expresses the interests of the Sarai in
issues that relate media, information and society in the contemporary
world. The Sarai Readers have a wide international readership.

Sarai Reader 04 will be partly based on the presentations made at a
workshop jointly organized by Sarai - CSDS and the Waag Society -
"Crisis/Media: The Uncertain States of Reportage". The workshop was
held at Sarai-CSDS, Delhi in March 2003.
For more details of the contents of this workshop, see
http://www.sarai.net/events/crisis_media/crisis_media.htm

Editorial Collective for Sarai Reader 04: Ravi Vasudevan, Ravi
Sundaram, Jeebesh Bagchi, Monica Narula & Shuddhabrata Sengupta
(Sarai, Delhi) and Geert Lovink  (Media Theorist & Internet Critic,
Brisbane)

II. Crisis/Media: Concepts & Themes

 From the very beginning of this century we have hurtled on as if from
crisis to crisis. As if all the ghosts of the 19th and the 20th
centuries, decades of war, colonial plunder, totalitarian repression
and the hardening of sectarian animosity had suddenly decided to come
home to roost in a frenzied attempt at revisiting on the present all
the accumulated tragedies of the past that we had thought we had left
behind us as we gingerly made our way into our times.

The images of planes crashing into skyscrapers, of entire cities
being bombed into submission from the air, of occupying armies and
fleeing civilians, of suicide bombers, ethnic cleansing and riot
police assaulting unarmed demonstrators have branded themselves on to
our consciousness with mounting frequency. These are the substance of
the meditations of all our mornings, as we pick up the day's
newspaper, switch on the radio in the kitchen, or the television in
the living room, or log on to the internet, We have witnessed flash
floods, epidemics, economic collapse, mass migrations and an
intensification of the regimes of surveillance and control on a near
global scale. Our newspapers, our television sets, our radios, our
websites and our minds have become prisoners of war, and there seems
to be no sign of a ceasefire in sight, at least as of now.

The world we live in has also witnessed an enormous increase in the
scale and complexity of communicative possibilities. An explosion of
the means of delivering news, comment and images at rapid speed over
diverse media has meant dispersal as well as amplification of the
dynamics of any event or process, anywhere in the world. Satellite
communications, a new telecom revolution, cheap electronic devices,
computers and the Internet ensure that no moment goes un-reported.
There is no moment that is not potentially global anymore.
These are times for sober reflection, and that, precisely, is what we
often find missing, as we open the newspaper, listen to the radio, or
television. Yet, a variety of different, dissident, passionate and
sane voices are also making themselves heard, through combinations of
new and old media, as never before. The 'Paid For' news of the
mainstream media is often exposed for what it is, even before it
appears, by an increasingly vigilant network of independent
local-global media initiatives. The numbers that turn out on the
streets of the world's major capitals to protest against war seem to
suggest that despite huge propaganda efforts, 'the spin' isn't
working, at least not all of the time. We live, as the Chinese curse
has it, in 'interesting times'.

This accumulation of situations of crisis in the first three years of
our century, and their rapid, almost real time dissemination in the
media, have no doubt precipitated new opportunities for communicative
action and global reflection, just as they have signalled an onset of
a severe crisis within the media - a crisis of over-stimulation and
under-statement, of exaggeration and exhaustion, of censorship and
spin-doctoring, of fear and favour. More than at any other time
before, the power and reach of the media, the potential of the usage
of technologies of information and communication for control or for
freedom, and the several intertwined professional, cognitive and
ethical dilemmas that media practitioners face on a daily basis. All
these require us to pause and take stock of the fact that the crises
reported in the media have a bearing on the crisis of reporting in
the media - That the media and the crisis that media require to be
themselves today can no longer be seen as distinct categories, hence
- CRISIS/MEDIA.

We are interested in recognizing the fact that media today are
located precisely along the intersections and fault lines that
connect and divide representations (media events and processes) and
structural problems. The Reader aims to excavate the relationships
between these structures and the representations that accompany them.
Crisis Media respond as much to wars and ongoing ethnic conflicts as
they do to environmental crises or the AIDS epidemic and the SARS
panic. Given this situation, how can Crisis/Media go beyond their
historically framed task of 'correcting' mainstream opinions and
actually experiment with other narratives? How can the global rise of
mobile devices be utilized to 'receive, transmit and broadcast'
peoples' stories as they occur, and by doing so, break the separation
between reporters and the reported?

Further, is it possible for us to begin to debate and problematize
the whole notion of 'representation' itself, positing more immediate
forms of testimony that resist mediatization? These are open
questions, with no satisfactory and coherent answers, but Sarai
Reader 04 would like to take them on, so as to map new territories of
thought about media practice.

A Preliminary List of Themes (these are not chapter or section
headings, but point to areas of interest) could include:

The Political Economy of Contemporary Media Forms
Media Wars and Media in times of War: Weapons of Mass Distraction?
Taking Sides and Speaking Truth: The Reportage of Ethnic Conflict and
Civil Unrest
Surveillance, Intelligence, Reportage: The Journalist and the Informer
Brand Disloyalty: Critiques and Analyses of Immaterial Capital in the
Information Age
Aliens and Others: Media and Migration
Reporting the Crises of Everyday Life
Re imagining Tactical Media
Evaluating Independent Media Strategies in the time of Globalization
Mobile Maverick Media: the Technology and Politics of Dispersed and
Mobile Media Forms
Viral Media
Communicable Diseases: Epidemics as Information
The Body as Data
Crises of Representation: Ethics, Epistemics, Aesthetics
The Space for Free Speech

Sarai Reader 04: Crisis/Media seeks to engage with this situation by
inviting a series of reflections by media practitioners (journalists,
independent media activists, filmmakers, photographers, artists,
commentators and editors) and thinkers, writers, scholars, activists
and critics.

We are looking for incisive analysis, as well as passionate writing,
for scholarly and theoretical rigour as well as for critical and
imaginative depth. We invite essays, reportage, diaries and memoirs,
entries from weblogs, edited compilations of online discussions,
photo essays, image-text collages and interpretations of found visual
material.

We are interested in testimonies from all theatres of global conflict
- be they New York, London, Baghdad or Kabul, in reports from
continuing crisis situations - in Kinshasa, Ahmedabad, Ramallah, and
in essays and reflections that address the world from Delhi,
Belgrade, Karachi, Beijing, Buenos Aires and Tehran.

We are interested in anything from anywhere at all that makes for
intelligent, provocative and critical encounters with the world we
all live in. Contributors can also consider the structural,
technological, rhetorical and aesthetic dimensions of understanding,
interpreting and expressing aspects of what they see as situations of
crisis. They can reflect on ecological crises, crisis within social
institutions and the many unreported and unexamined crises of
everyday life that be-devil the contemporary moment. Hate speech and
unreflective testimonies of victim-hood, however, are not welcome.

The Sarai Reader 4, like the previous Sarai Readers, will be
international in scope and content, while retaining a special
emphasis on reflection about and from areas that normally lie outside
the domain of mainstream discourses. We are particularly interested
in cutting edge writing and contributions from South Asia, South and
Central America, South East Asia, China, Tibet and Taiwan, Korea,
Singapore, Iran, Iraq, Turkey and Australia. This is not an
expression of a 'regional' or 'third world' bias; rather it is an
affirmation of the fact that some of the most exciting emergent
voices are located in these regions. We of course welcome innovative
and critical contributions from Europe, North America and Japan. We
are especially keen to shape the Reader in response to events such as
the Next Five Minutes 4 Conference, and hope that some of the ideas
that get generated in such events can find their way into the debates
that the Reader hopes to embody.

If you feel these issues and questions are of interest to you. If
your practice, thought, curiosities, research or creative activity
has impelled you to think about some of these issues, we invite you
to contribute to Sarai Reader 04: Crisis/Media.

III. Guidelines for Submissions

Word Limit: 1500 - 4000 words

1. Submissions may be scholarly, journalistic, or literary - or a mix
of these, in the form of essays, papers, interviews, online
discussions ordinary entries. All submission, unless specifically
solicited, must be in English only.

2. Submissions must be sent by email in as text, or as rtf, or as
word document or star office/open office attachments. Articles may be
accompanied by black and white photographs or drawings submitted in
the tiff format.

3. We urge all writers, to follow the Chicago Manual of Style, (CMS)
in terms of footnotes, annotations and references. For more details
about the CMS and an updated list of Frequently Asked Questions, see
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/cmosfaq/cmosfaq.html

For a 'Quick Reference Guide to the Chicago Manual of Style' -
especially relevant for citation style, see -
http://www.library.wwu.edu/ref/Refhome/chicago.html

4. All contributions should be accompanied by a three/four line text
introducing the author.

5. All submissions will be read by the editorial collective of the
Sarai Reader 04 before the final selection is made. The editorial
collective reserves the right not to publish any material sent to it
for publication in the Sarai Reader on stylistic or editorial
grounds. All contributors will be informed of the final decisions of
the editorial collective vis a vis their contribution.

6. Copyright for all accepted contributions will remain with the
authors, but Sarai reserves indefinitely the right to place any of
the material accepted for publication on the public domain in print
or electronic forms, and on the Internet.

7. Accepted submissions will not be paid for, but authors are
guaranteed a wide international readership. The Reader will be
published in print, distributed in India and internationally, and
will also be uploaded in a pdf form on to the Sarai website. All
contributors whose work has been accepted for publication will
receive two copies of the Reader.

IV. Where and When to send your Contributions

Last date for submission - December 1st 2003. (But please write as
soon as possible to the editorial collective with a brief
outline/abstract, not more than one page, of what you want to write
about - this helps in designing the content of the reader). We expect
to have the reader published by mid-February 2004.

Please send in your outlines and abstracts, and images/graphic material to -
1. For articles, to Shuddhabrata Sengupta, Co Ordinator, Sarai Reader
04 (shuddha sarai.net)

2. For proposals to moderate online discussions on the Reader List,
to Monica Narula, List Administrator, the Reader List
(monica sarai.net)

3. For images and/or graphic material, to Monica Narula, Co
Ordinator, Media Lab (monica sarai.net)

The Sarai Programme
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
29 Rajpur Road, Delhi 110 054
Tel:  ([PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]) 11 23960040
        ([PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]) 11 23942199, ext 307
Fax: ([PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]) 11 23943450
www.sarai.net