[ox] fields of practice

liste oekonux.de writes:
see above. if the "new society" is the topic then "practice" can be a lot
of
things. but i would say the most useful field of practice is where people
are actually seeking to transform the world and seeking to implent a
different society.. these people gather at the social forums.

I think it would make very good sense if we bring this to concrete
projects which are making an impact.

I appreciate your zeal on getting the oekonux communities contribution to
the goals of the social forums. I have told Stefan Merten and the people
in the project list, that the reason why I personally insisted on even
discussing the alternative Vienna versus Hallein was that I expect you and
the people who gathered this summer could make a substantial contribution
to the oekonux conference.

Even if we will not not physically be present there in large numbers, let
us use the opportunity to discuss the projects and fields of practise
where you think the connection with oekonux could be helpful.

I could imagine several topics which might constitute joint fields of
thought and action:

a) improving the tools of cooperation: todays software is still built
around individuals, not around teams. Collective work is painstaking,
clumsy and unproductive. It needs not to be. Andrius Kulikauskas from
Minciu Sodas has launched a very interesting proposal to do a "social
networking kit", and he lists other ones like "Art of Linux, Brainwaves,
GivingSpace, Ideafeeds, The Internet Topic Exchange, Miksike, Mind
Colonies, New Civilization Network, Open Idea Project, Primarily Public
Domain, Structio, Thinking Tool Kit, Tools4Thinking,Unology,World
Transformation, XpertWeb" (this is not an endorsement of any of these,
just a pointer to possibly interesting topics)
see: www.ms.lt
And Andrius is just an example, I could well add Stefan Meretz OpenTheory.
We lots of improvements in this system, there is a lot of itch to scratch.

b) improving the base of cooperation: How do we get people to participate
in free projects? I mean this is not a question of "motivating", as it
might sound, but rather "enabling" and "inspiring".  So the way we brought
computers to Africa with vum (www.vum.at) had this vague idea in the
background to eventually increase the "developer base" of this world, not
just in terms of software, but maybe even of enhanced local agriculture.
One thing the women of Bamenda complained about was the lack of knowledge
of people to preserve the abundant food they harvest. Another idea was
they could give us a lot of THEIR knowledge, e.g. how to bring up children.

c) widening the fields of cooperation. As with local agriculture, we can
do with myriads of cultural fields. People can do music, film-making,
research, learning, healing, restoring and thousands of other activities
together and the internet is allready hosting hundreds of thousands of
netwoirking entities. But still only a small fraction of the human
potential is yet organized this way. This is quickly changing. We might
design even better things than cars together - and find ways they are
brought to reality.

d) Improving the impact of cooperation -  by designing institutions,
processes, devices etc.that transfer informational wealth into physical
wealth (we do not have to limit these thoughts to the notorious fabber).
There is a large range from local learning groups that are inspired and
empowered by availability of knowledge and support to Computer controlled
tools and machinery in workshops and assembling halls. All these
creativity is increasingly resisting to be any longer blocked by the
capitalistic monopolisation of knowledge and information.

In all these respects, we are not physically dependent on the meeting in
Hallein. We can create a meshwork of common thoughts via the tools of
communication that we have set up (list etc.) and they will automatically
fuel the desire to physically meet, maybe in the aftermath or in 2005.

 And there is still the chance that ASF might value this proposal even
more and create opportunity to have broader participation in the Oekonux
conference by choosing another date in next spring or summer. Remember, we
have chosen date and place first. And our topic is "The Wealth we can
create through Copyleft - Creativity in the digital Age". I think many
people will not want to miss this opportunity. And we surely would value
the input  of ideas and speakers, not just the support from your side.

Franz