Re: Re(2): [ox] F/LOSH, Open/Free Architecture for...

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Franz J. Nahrada wrote:

graham schreibt:
So I lost enthusiasm too: it seemed wrong to try to create a new license
without feedback from the people with the practical expertise. One
conclusion I did come to is that 'hardware design' may be too abstract,
and that each field has its own problems. So rather than one license that
covers everything from PCBs to chips to engines to washing machines,
separate licenses are needed for each...

I wonder why, fundamentally, they should be needed at all.

Well, that is a common point of view, and most of the people who use
BSD style licenses for hardware designs are not far from this view as
well. My own view was based on the importance of the gpl for free
software, and was that copyleft licenses for other fields would have the
same purpose as in free software: allowing the creation of free
designs which could not easily be reabsorbed into the commercial world,
and so would stay free. I still think this is a reasonable aim, but I'm no
longer as sure as I was that it is practical (in legal terms).

Graham